Friday 1 April 2011

Question 2 - How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?











Post Card....

My ancillary task consisted on constructing three different post card designs, and deciding a final design. Below is a screen grab of the main image which influenced my final post card design. Through my final design I wanted to convey the overall theme of my film, but leave an element of suspicion to the post card and films plot line.



"Screen Grab" of the narrative which influenced my post card design. 





























I chose to use the idea of fridge magnets for my post card as I thought the use of lettering was interesting and quirky. Instead of writing “I forgive you” I chose to replace it by including the films name as well as relevant information for the films advertisement. Not only does the text add suspense, due to it giving no direct link to a person, it also directly links to a specific scene in my short film. With this in mind, it fits the conventions of a post card and would be a good advertisement tool. It also directly links to my short film and as viewers the link is somewhat obvious and simplistic, but affective.

Film Review.....

For my film review I decided I wanted to design an article to replicate one from the “Sight and Sound” magazine. Through research, it became apparent that our short film would be best suited for the monthly distributed review magazine “Sight and Sound”. The magazine often had specific sections for short films and I decided to go with designing an article from there as opposed to using the, less intellectual and more comical “Empire” magazine. It also occurred to me that the magazine would ultimately gain an appropriate audience for my short film.

I chose to include another film review to the left of my review to make it look more realistic and as if the article was from a magazine. At the top of my article I included all the essential information regarding the film; this would allow audiences to have a brief understanding of the certificate of the film as well as the main actors and the film’s title “Closer”. When writing the review I made direct references to the synopsis of the film, so at the bottom of the review I included it, giving audiences the chance to read it.  Following the conventions of a typical film review, my design was set out in a very similar way to those of “Sight and Sound”.

In my review I tried to make sure the reader was getting a good understand about the films plot line as well as the initial acting ability and camera work. I made a direct reference to the use of lighting and Kenny’s acting talent, encouraging audiences to be more intrigued and hopefully with full intention, get them to watch our short film. Personally it is the first scene that builds the character of Lucas and sets the tone of the whole short film.

The image on my film review was taken during the filming; it shows Kenny shouting in an emotional state. This adds suspense to audiences and also indicates a vital part in the short film itself.
Below is a comparative image of my film review and the "Sight and Sound" review i based my work upon.

"Sight and Sound" Film Review.....














My Film Review for "Closer".....

No comments:

Post a Comment